Wrestleblog
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
  ECW - November 14, 2006
Holy crap, I can't believe that it is already the middle of November. This month is flying by; hell, so is this year. And also quickly flying by is any interest that I might have in wrestling in general, and ECW in particular. Whether this is caused by a dip in the quality of the product or a change in my personal tastes, I don't know. But really, I don't care. The fact of the matter is that wrestling is becoming less and less entertaining for me. And considering that I am one of the core wrestling audience - one who sticks by and watches the product no matter how bad it gets - that is saying something. Maybe I am truly getting too old for this; wrestling is mainly geared for the 18-35 year old age group. Maybe it's just that, after years and years putting crap on the tv screen, it is possible to drive away the core audience. Whatever it is, I think that the WWE needs to pay attention. Unless they decide that sub-3.0 ratings are pretty darned good after all.

I was trying to decide whether it was this blase feeling I have towards the show in general that led me to dislike the Mike Knox -vs- CM Punk match from last week's episode of ECW. On paper, I shoulda been digging it. Punk won cleanly. And Knox was exposed as the no-talent hack that he is. Those are good things, right? But I was still down on the match in general. Whyso?

One of the trademarks of the original ECW was the idea that everyone was willing to do anything to make their opponent look good. It was an unselfish way to make sure that everyone helped everyone else out. Sorta the "a rising tide raises all ships" philosophy. And as a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat, I am totally down with that. In the original ECW's case, this meant that when one person looked good, everyone else would look good too. A perfect example of this is Tommy Dreamer. As Dreamer worked his ass off to make his opponents look like a million dollars, he ended up looking like one tough badass in the fans eyes. This led to the Innovator of Violence gimmick which served Tommy well throughout the final run of ECW.

So isn't that what happened when Punk went over Knox cleanly? I am pretty sure that is what they were going for; trying to make Knox look better by having him lose to the very legit-looking CM Punk. But it seemed wrong to me, somehow. Mostly how quickly the match ended, how easy Punk's victory ended up being. It seemed too much, too fast, too quickly. A rising tide is slow and steady; a tide that rises too fast and too quickly is no longer a tide, but a flood, which can cause drastic damage. And that is what could've happened here. There's nothing to gain if Knox is jobbed out too quickly. He will just end up seeming overrated, someone who shouldn't have been in the ring with Punk to begin with. Punk doesn't get any elevation, and Knox doesn't get any rub. In the end, we end up with a match with a foregone conclusion that only exists to get Punk into the Elimination Chamber.

Or maybe I'm overanalyzing things again. I'm old; I'm prone to do such things. :)

Let's get to this week's show!


Ah, to hell with this. I'm not recapping a show I can't even see! 'til next week!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A cynic's view of professional wrestling, ranting about WWE, TNA and more!

ARCHIVES
September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 /


Powered by Blogger